Perry orchestras look to the future with confidence

Dr. Alex Zheng conducts the 1st hour chamber orchestra class. Perry orchestras continue to prepare for various competitions and performances.

Molly Ogden, Staff Reporter

Talent, determination, and professionalism: three words that essentially sum up the Perry Arts Department, and more specifically, the orchestra program led by Dr. Alex Zheng.

The orchestra program focuses on the mastery of multiple styles of music, but there are other goals to be accomplished besides music.

Zheng explained that “performances are our final goal. However, by doing orchestra here, [I also] want [the students] to [be] improving not just [with] performance skills, but with organization skills, leadership, and with sectionals at performances. As student leaders, you learn how to lead a group… Leadership also is built up just like any other skill.”

Every school year brings new challenges that must be overcome in order for a group to truly work together. Senior and violinist Caden Webb commented that “obviously, the seniors from last year left, so it a huge change. A lot of the kids have to step up and play harder parts than last year.”

But even with all of the changes, Webb “[enjoys] the atmosphere, being around other people that love music, and being around Dr. Zheng who is a phenomenal conductor. He is able to teach a lot.”

Junior and bassist Brigham Welch commented that “[this year’s chamber orchestra] is bigger than in past years which is pretty good because we get a bigger sound and there is definitely is a lot of talent in the orchestra.”

This year’s talented musicians have much to look forward to and enjoy musically in the coming school year. One such event is the orchestra’s NAU trip in October. Another event soon to be taking place is an orchestra field trip to a Phoenix Symphony concert.

Zheng firmly believes that the best learning takes place through real-life application, and not just from something that comes out of a textbook or a lecture. That is the reason for the field trips and involved learning that takes place in the Perry orchestra program: to inspire students to become the best that they can be.