Classics never go out of style, just dressed up

Madilyn McFarland, Staff Reporter

Many say that the Millennial generation does not appreciate, let alone actually know the classics that have helped shaped our culture into what it is today. I say that, that statement is misleading. It may be a true fact that some younger millennials are unfamiliar with the classics, but many do know them and do enjoy them to this day.

The fact that some millennials don’t know the classics is not a reflection of our supposed narcissistic ways. Movies, music, tv shows have a time and place when they are relevant to what is going on in our culture. Media such as The Breakfast Club, and The Beatles have crossed time and have all stayed pretty popular even into our modern times. Other media such as I Love Lucy and It’s a Wonderful Life, though they were once ground breaking new forms of media, they have simply lost their importance in our culture. That is not to say they are not any good, I am simply stating that they don’t have as much relevance in our culture as they once did. In 10, 20, 30 years from now the movies, music and tv shows will not hold the same value as they do today.

Although, as said in the article “Perspective:Millennials seem to have little use for old movies” by Neal Gabler where he discusses the constant remakes done of original movies and how the time between each remake has diminished. The example that Gabler uses is the Spider-Man franchise. The original Spider-Man trilogy came out early 2000’s (the first coming out in 2002 and last coming out in 2007) while only several years later Peter Parker was reinvented to fit better within our culture. Now in 2016 Peter Parker along with many other characters are getting a make-over for the new Spider-Man movie to come out 2017. This remake has a much more diverse cast that reflects the world that we live in today.

When remakes are made it is not because the older movies are no longer appreciated, because they still are loved by many. In a survey done of a junior class of 21 students; 24% of them had seen the movie Miracle on 34th Street. 48% had seen the all time best mafia movie The Godfather. 86% had seen the funniest kids movie The Goonies.

Music wise, 71% know the song “White Christmas” by Frank Sinatra, 62% know the song “Come Together” by The Beatles, 86% know “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson.

These classics are still watched, listened to and loved by many because the classics never go out of style, they just get dressed up.