Sports broadcaster stands out in his field

Kylie Vacala, Staff Reporter

Joran Palacio, Perry sports broadcaster, has worked hard to achieve his dreams of becoming a sports broadcaster. His passion for sports and commentating came together to make him a play-by-play expert.

Palacio first discovered his interest for sport broadcasting shortly before entering high school. “ I saw this commercial during a Diamondbacks game,” Palacio stated, “[the commercial] said ‘hey come out and audition to be part of the game’, and I said why not. I actually won the contest when I was a freshman. I did an inning of play-by-plays for them.”

Not only did the Diamondbacks recognize Palacio’s abilities during the 2013 Kid Caster  competition, but so did student media teacher, Brian Bernier.

“For years we never had anybody who wanted to do play-by-play stuff,”  Bernier commented. “He came as a freshman and he already done the Diamondback kid caster. He was all about it.”

Students may not recognize what Palacio does by hearing “play-by-plays” but when attending sport events, his work is showcased.

“My job specifically, I do all the research before the game” Palacio stated, “then once the game gets going, I know who everybody is and I’m interviewing coaches from both sides.”

Kyle Davidson, a sophomore in student media, collaborates with Palacio to create play-by-plays.

Davidson comments on his partnership with Palacio. “ We work together to make [the broadcasting] run smoothly.”

Compared to other student broadcasters, Palacio’s talent sets him apart.

“You can tell when he is doing broadcasts he is enthusiastic about what’s going on,” Bernier said about Palacio’s broadcasting abilities.

Palacio’s experience throughout the years has expanded his natural talent for broadcasting, providing him with a promising future in what he loves to do.