Lockridge says farewell to Perry

Emma Fernandez

Lockridge teaches US history.

Sarah Campbell, Staff Reporter

Friday, Sept. 4 will be a somber day as respected history teacher Brittney Lockridge spends her last day on campus. After nearly three years of educating students at Perry, she will be relocating.

Her decision to depart was not an easy one as she is moving halfway across the country to Michigan in support of her husband’s career. “I’m excited because it’s going to be a completely different experience there,” she says.

Although she is enthusiastic for the journey, it is clear she will miss teaching, “I don’t think I’m going to know what to do with myself because I’m not going to see teenagers everyday.”

Known for her bubbly personality, Lockridge was well-liked among students and staff alike. Principal Dan Serrano describes her reputation on campus, “She’s very compassionate, and cares about kids and cares about teaching.”

Admired for her ability to connect with students, Lockridge made a great impact on many. History department head Jason Myers explains her talent for understanding students, “[She] really, really goes out of her way to make sure that she knows her students on a personal level and they really respond to that; they like being in [her] class.”

Lockridge is a favorite teacher of many due to her skill of being able to relate to students. “I know she’s very popular with students and any time you have teachers popular with students, and within administration, you always miss them,” Serrano explains.

Myers claims her popularity comes from her kind character, “Going into [her] class, you see her empathy for the students, you see her working one-on-one with the students; she really likes being a part of their lives and thats a big part of what she brings to Perry.”

Lockridge leaves heavy-hearted as she will miss educating and the community. “Everybody has been really nice. It’s a really big family,” she says, ”everybody genuinely cares about each other so it’s going to be sad leaving that.”

Her final message is bittersweet,  “Thanks for being awesome, and so welcoming. Thanks for the memories.” Lockridge left a positive mark and it is clear the campus will be duller without her.