The Voices behind the Music; Jazz Choir performers

Mr. Staley teaches music theory to Jazz students.

Kylie Vacala

Kylie Vacala, Staff Reporter

Seven girls, one guy, and an array of music come together to form the Jazz Choir. These eight individuals are a hidden gem within the Fine Arts Department, because of the immense talent each one of them has.

When asked about the qualifications to be considered for Jazz Choir, Jameson Staley, the director of Jazz Choir as well as the head of the choir program, commented, “The students in jazz choir need to have been in concert choir before or currently…they also need to be good sight readers because they have to be more independent and they have to be confident enough as a musician to sing a harmony part by themselves.”

The limited number of students proves that it’s difficult to meet all the qualifications. However, fewer students is not always a bad thing. The Jazz Choir uses it to their advantage by performing complex pieces that require skill level and understanding from each individual.

“We aren’t as loud but microphones help with that,” Courtney Janda, a first year Jazz performer said when acknowledging the class size,  “our skill level is very high because the less amount of people the harder it is to get into jazz.”

Out of these eight, senior Brett Mullenaux is the only male member of the Jazz Choir. Mullenaux noted, “It helps me be a better musician being able to hold my part. We could use more guys but we work with what we have and it still works out pretty well,” when he referred to his role in the choir.

Each one of these performers has  a critical role involving  formation of a musical piece, but the director is the one who ties together each unique voice.

With the change of directors this year in the program, each choir has benefited from the new addition. “I think he [ Mr. Staley] is helping a lot with leadership. He leads a lot which is good because last year we didn’t have that and is bringing a lot new stuff to the table; new styles of music, new energy,” Mackenzie Nelson, one of the performers, commented about the change in the Jazz Choir.

Staley’s direction brings new styles when it comes to performances. Their style of jazz and acapella will be showcased in their upcoming concert on September 21.

When you see these eight, they might seem like regular classmates; when they step on stage, their skill and voices prove they are anything but ordinary.