Perry choirs excel at Heritage Festival

Molly Ogden, Staff Reporter

Recently, Perry Choirs had the opportunity to participate in the Heritage Festival in Anaheim, California from April 30 to May 3. The Heritage Festival is a unique opportunity for choir and orchestra students to perform in front of and against dozens of schools from all over the country and be judged on musical ability by nationally accredited judges.

Choir director Joe Little commented that “while we are there, we have a chance to compete. There are usually three judges and they are from around the country. They rate us on a scale of 0 to 100, and if you get a gold level, that is like getting an A in a class. [A gold] is a 90% or above. [A silver] is an 80-89%. If there are more than one choir in a certain category, then you can earn first, second, or third place.”

The Advanced Women’s, Concert and Show Choirs all returned from the Heritage Festival with honors. Advanced Women’s Choir received a gold medal, and the Concert and Show Choirs received silver medals.

“I was surprised that our Concert Choir didn’t get a gold.,” Little remarked. “They were two points away from a gold. It could have been the difficulty of the music that I gave them. Maybe I could have given them something that really showcased them the way it should have. But they [all] did a wonderful job.”

Little further commented that “it was the Advanced Women that got the gold. They had some difficult music, and they even asked for extra practices. It was their willingness to put in that extra effort that made it so they got that gold. That was a lesson for all of us.”

The choirs were not the only ones to receive awards. Senior Caiden Gledhill was also honored for his vocal performance at the festival.

Little explained that “Caiden Gledhill had a solo in the middle of a song, and [the judges] were so impressed with his voice and the delivery that they gave him the [Maestro Award].”

“It was cool and kind of surprising because they didn’t tell me anything before I got called up onto the stage,” commented Gledhill. ‘It was awesome to represent Perry and know that the judges thought I did a good job on my solo.”

“Performing for a judge is always good for singers,” continued Gledhill. “The weekend helped us grow closer as a choir, and everyone had fun.”

Perry orchestra conductor Dr. Alex Zheng also participated in the Heritage Festival with several members of the Perry orchestra. Zheng agreed with Gledhill that the Heritage festival “was a wonderful experience in every way.”

It takes great skill and hard-work to achieve the awards that Perry choirs have achieved. Little offered his advice regarding the skill and hard work that have gone into the choir program.

“Overconfidence is a danger with any of us who start excelling.” Each choir was able to dodge this obstacle at the festival, and perform to the best of their abilities.